Thursday, August 31, 2006

Inspiration Grows


In the fall of 2004 I decided to take on something I never thought I would ever in a million years take on.. "a marathon". Yes, thats right 42km... As if that was not enough of a challenge I also had the added goal of raising $6000 for Canadian Diabetes Association. I joined Team Diabetes. I was preparing myself for a marathon in Rome. The reason I chose to support diabetes was it affected my mom on a daily basis, taking four needles a day was not easy for her.
I wanted to do something to help her and others who suffered daily.

Was I going through a midlife crisis? NO I was only turning 40... I guess that could be looked at as midlife hmmmmm. I had reached a point in my life where I wanted to do more, more for the community, more for others. I wanted to also "inspire" others including my children into believing that if I could conquer this feat anything was possible.
I was not a runner, this made the goal even sweeter. The training began...all those winter days of snow and sleet, running and walking through slush and ice. It was not fun but I was determined.... Months went by until the day to leave for Rome arrived. My fundraising and training was complete, I was ready....

The day proved to include many speedbumps along the way however I did it! I crossed that finish line .. all of that hardwork and determination paid off. I felt very proud and empowered!

My story does not end there... As mentioned earlier one of my goals was to inspire my children. To have a positive influence in their life.. showing them anything was possible... I guess they believed...This past year, my son Brandon who is 17 years of age, just graduating from highschool decided to get involved.. he too decided to do a marathon.. a 1/2 marathon with team diabetes. He knew it was going to be tough.. he had to raise the monies and do the training..
A year ago this young man would barely clean his room let alone volunteer to do a marathon and raise money for a charity.. who was this child? This was a young man believing that anything is possible... I had the very special opportunity to join my son in Iceland 2006 to see his dreams come true. I was very proud of him as was he of himself....

Together inspiration grows......

No comments: